Dr. Carsten Oelrichs
Born in Helgoland in1966, Dr. Carsten Oelrichs trained as an industrial business administrator before going on to study law at the University of Hamburg, where he also worked as a research assistant at the Chair of Commercial, Shipping and Business Law. He received his doctorate in 1998, with a thesis on “Creditor Participation and Voting Bans in New Insolvency Proceedings”.
Dr. Oelrichs has been a lawyer at ZENK since 1998.
For several years running, he has been named by JUVE as one of Germany’s leading lawyers in the food law field. He has also appeared for several consecutive years in the “Germany’s Best Lawyers” ranking of top commercial lawyers, which is compiled annually by Handelsblatt magazine and US publisher Best Lawyers. He was named “Lawyer of the Year” for the field of advertising in 2013 and again in 2016 for the field of healthcare.
Dr. Oelrichs is chairman of the legal committee of the Food Association Germany (Lebensmittelverband Deutschland e. V.), the main organization for the German food industry, and a member of the Board of Trustees. He is co-author of the Munich Commentary [Münchener Kommentar] on the Law Against Unfair Competition (UWG) and the Guide to Food Labelling [Praxishandbuch Lebensmittelkennzeichnung].
“Germany’s Best Lawyers 2019” in the categories “Health Law” and “Advertising Law”.
- Wie Wasser zu einem Lebensmittel wird [How water becomes a food product]
- Commentary on the ECJ’s decision of 24.6.2015 on natural mineral water (German-language)
- Commentary on the first Supreme Court decision on nutrition labelling in Germany (German-language)
- Annotations on the judgement on “Praebiotik” (Federal Supreme Court, I ZR 178/12, judgment of 26.2.2014)
- Umstellung der Etiketten in Kürze – Neue Kennzeichnungsvorgaben für Lebensmittel [Label changes in a nutshell – New labelling requirements for foods]
- Clean Labeling – Werbung mit Selbstverständlichkeiten [Clean labeling: Advertising as it should be]
- Die Kennzeichnung natürlicher Aromen – Tanz der Moleküle? [The labeling of natural flavors: Dance of the molecules?]
- Article on “bio” mineral water (German-language)
- Die Gegenprobe im Gemeinschaftsrecht [Cross-checking in Community law]
- Zum Umgang von Lebensmittelunternehmern mit NGOs [The treatment of NGOs by food business operators]
- LMIV – Herausforderungen für die Praxis [The Food Information Regulation – Challenges for practice]
- Article on information obligations under the EU Health Claims Regulation (German-language)
- Commentary on the decision of the OLG (Higher Regional Court) of Hamburg on “Ginkgo Capsules” (German-language)
- Verbraucherschutz auf dem Vormarsch [Consumer protection on the advance]
- Die Macht der NGOs [The power of NGOs]
- All published articles with source citations